Gerald Origin and Meaning
The name Gerald is a boy's name of English origin meaning "ruler with the spear".
Both a saint's name and a presidential one via Gerald Ford—who was born Leslie—Gerald is a quintessential 1930s-40s name, when it ranked as high as Number 19. Hence all those nice middle-aged and senior Jerrys we've known and loved. Gerald has always been popular in Ireland, accounting for the prevalence of Fitzgeralds there. Though not considered stylish, Gerald remains on the popularity charts. Cousin Gerard has a similar profile, Geraldo is the well-used Spanish version, and Geraldine is the most promising of the family, in line to follow the path of Josephine to imminent revival.
# 894 in the US
Gerald Rank in US Top 2000
20 Names Similar to Gerald
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Gerald.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Gerald
Famous People Named Gerald
- Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey IIIprofessional baseball catcher for the San Francisco Giants
- Gerald Earl Gillumrapper known as G,Eazy
- Gerald Rudolph "Jerry" Ford (born Leslie Lynch KingJr.), 38th U.S. President
- Gerald Jermaine WallaceAmerican basketball player
- Gerald GreenAmerican basketball player
- Gerald Lind SensabaughAmerican NFL football player
- Gerald "Gerry" GoffinAmerican songwriter/lyricist
- Gerald Joseph "Gerry" MulliganAmerican jazz saxophonist
- Gerald Lee "Mac" McRaneyAmerican actor
- Trevell Gerald Coleman aka G. DepAmerican rapper
- Gerald Maurice EdelmanAmerican biologist; winner of the Nobel Prize
- Floyd Gerald "Jerry" BriscoAmerican pro wrestler
- Gerald of Walesarchdeacon of Brecon and chronicler of his times
- Gerald Anthony ScarfeEnglish cartoonist and illustrator
- Gerald Norman "Jerry" SpringerBritish,born TV personality, attorney, and former Cincinnati mayor & news anchor
- Gerald William "Jerry" TrainorAmerican actor
- Gerald A. "Jerry" Paulsenfounder of Jerry's Enterprises, Inc.
Gerald in Pop Culture
- Gerald Winterscharacter from TV series "NYPD Blue"
- Gerald O'HaraScarlett's father in "Gone with the Wind"
- Gerald Martin JohanssenArnold's best friend on TV series "Hey Arnold!"
- Gerald Summerscharacter in G. A. Henty's "Under Drake's Flag"
- Gerald Kingsleycharacter on TV's "Grandfathered," played by Josh Peck
- Geraldsea lion in Pixar's "Finding Dory"
- Geraldcharacter from "The Extraordinary Adventures of G.A. Henty"
- Gerald Crichcharacter from "Women in Love" by D.H. Lawrence
- Gerald BroflovskiKyle’s dad in “South Park”