Ferdinand Origin and Meaning
The name Ferdinand is a boy's name of German origin meaning "bold voyager".
Ferdinand, a traditional name in the royal families of Spain and a handsome young prince shipwrecked on Prosper's island in Shakespeare's The Tempest has, unfortunately, to the American ear a somewhat heavy and clumsy feel -- most likely because of the bull connection. In the 1880's it was in the 200's on the US pop list, but has been off completely since 1986. The sexier Spanish and Portuguese version, on the other hand, is Number 253 (and 28 in Chile, 59 in Spain). An interesting Dutch spin: the short form Dinand, after a popular singer. Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan was the first European to cross the Pacific and the first person to circumnavigate the earth.
20 Names Similar to Ferdinand
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Ferdinand.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Ferdinand
Famous People Named Ferdinand
- Ferdinand I and IIKings of Portugal
- Ferdinand I and IIKings of Aragon
- Ferdinand IIKing of Leon
- Ferdinand IIII and IV, Kings of Castile and Leon
- Ferdinand V and VIKings of Spain
- Ferdinand I and IIHoly Roman Emperors
- Ferdinand I and IIKings of Naples
- Ferdinand I (Ferdinand Antonio Pasquale Giovanni Nepomuceno Serafino Gennaro Benedetto) and II (Ferdinando Carlo)Kings of the Two Sicilies
- Ferdinand I (Ferdinand Maximilian Karl Leopold Maria of SaxeCoburg and Gotha), King of Bulgaria
- Ferdinand I (Ferdinand Viktor Albert Meinrad)King of Romania
- Ferdinand I (Ferdinand Charles Leopold Joseph Francis Marcelin)Emperor of Austria
- Ferdinand Emmanuel Edralin Marcos10th President of the Philippines
- Ferdinand Édouard BuissonFrench winner of the Nobel Peace Prize
- Ferdinand MagellanPortuguese explorer
- Ferdinand Jean Marie FochMarshal of France during WWI
- Ferdinand Mongin de SaussureSwiss linguist
- Ferdinand PorscheCzech auto engineer and founder of Porsche
- Ferdinand von LindemannGerman mathematician
- Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von HabsburgAustrian racing driver
- Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Jr.birth name of Kareem Abdul,Jabbar, American basketball player
- Ferdinand Joseph LaMothe aka Jelly Roll MortonAmerican jazz musician
- Ferdinand MarieVicomte de Lesseps, French diplomat of the Suez Canal
- Ferdinand BudickiCroatian auto pioneer
- Ferdinand BolDutch painter
- Franz Ferdinand Carl Ludwig Joseph MariaArchduke of Austria whose assassination began WWI
- Ferdinand Maria Ludwig Franz von Assisi Isabellus Adalbert Ildefons Martin Bonifaz Joseph IsidroPrince of Bavaria, Infante Ferdinand of Spain
- Ferdinand Philippe Marie d'Orléansduc d'Alençon, cousin of Queen Victoria
- Ferdinand Georg AugustPrince of Saxe,Coburg and Gotha, German general
- Ferdinand François Philippe Marie Laurent d'OrléansDuc de Montpensier
- Ferdinand Philippe of OrleansPrince Royal of France
- FerdinandPrince of the Two Sicilies, Duke of Castro (Ferdinando Maria Andrea Alfonso Marcus Borbone)
- Ferdinand Maria Fidelis Leopold Meinrad ValentinPrince of Hohenzollern
Ferdinand in Pop Culture
- Ferdinandcharacter in Shakespeare's play The Tempest
- Ferdinand the Bulla mild mannered bull in The Story of Ferdinand
- Ferdinand Griffonmain character in movie Pierrot le fou
- Ferdinanda railway engine on animated series Thomas & Friends
- Ferdinand Vaněka vaguely autobiographical character in several plays by Václav Havel
- Ferdinand Holliecharacter on TV series "NYPD Blue"
- Ferdinandthe duck in film "Babe"
- Ferdinandcharacter on TV series Orphan Black
- Ferdinandmain character in Disney film "Ferdinand"
- Ferdinand "Foggy" Nelsoncharacter in Marvel's Daredevil series
- Franz FerdinandScottish band
- Ferdinand von Aegircharacter in Fire Emblem Three Houses video game