Esmé is a sophisticated, distinctive, and charming J. D. Salinger name, from his classic 1950 story For Esmé, With Love and Squalor. Related to the French Aimee, which means beloved, and to the concept of esteem, it was originally a boys’ name exported from France to Scotland via a member of the royal family.
A current favorite among celebs, including Samantha Morton, Michael J. Fox and Katey Sagal, Esme got a lot of publicity via the character Esme Cullen, the vampire matriarch of the Olympic Coven in the Twilight Saga.
The final accent indicates the pronunciation of ez-may, though in English you can just spell it Esme.
Lists containing Esme:
- Literary Names for Girls
- If You Like Daisy, You Might Love...
- If You Like Emma, You Might Love...
- Vampire Baby Names
- Scottish Baby Names
- Baby Names That Mean Love
- Literary Baby Names
- Unique Baby Girl Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Baby Girl Names to Love Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Poodle Names