The name Dorothea is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "gift of God". Dorothea and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Girls Makeover - Two Middles".
From the experts:
Dorothea is a flowing and romantic Victorian-sounding name which was popular in the early decades of the twentieth century, but has been off the charts since 1970. Definitely on the brink of a revival!
Dorothea has had a long literary tradition, including as a clever, beautiful character in Don Quixote and the idealistic heroine of George Eliot's Middlemarch.
Worthy namesakes include Dorothea Dix, nineteenth century activist for the mentally ill and Civil War nurse, and the influential documentary photographer Dorothea Lange, known for her moving portraits taken during the Great Depression.
Appealing nickname possibilities include Dorrie, Doro, Dodie, Dot, Dottie and Thea.
Lists containing Dorothea:
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Old Lady Names
- Names to Substitute for Caroline
- Classic Girl Names
- Vintage Girl Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Royal Names for Girls
- Baby Names from Books
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Magical Christmas Baby Names
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Romantic Baby Names for Girls
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Cool Classic Girl Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Names That Mean Blessed
- Names That Mean Gift