Deacon Origin and Meaning
The name Deacon is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "messenger, servant".
This name was transposed from the word for a church officer to a baby name when Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe chose it for their son, after a baseball player ancestor, and Don Johnson followed suit. Its popularity also got a boost from Nashville character Deacon Claybourne -- only to fall a bit in recent years.
# 515 in the US
Deacon Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Deacon
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Deacon.
Lists containing Deacon
- Alternatives to Ethan
- Country Boy Baby Names
- Sweet Southern Baby Names
- Celebrity Baby Word Names
- Christian Baby Names
- Cool Cowboy Baby Names
- Soap Opera Baby Names
- Modern Christian Baby Names
- Crazy Celebrity Baby Names
- Occupational Baby Names
- Spiritual Baby Names
- Country Dog Names
- Country Cat Names
- TV Character Names
- New Baby Boy Names
- English Word Names
Famous People Named Deacon
- James Thomas "Deacon" McGuireAmerican baseball player
- David D. "Deacon" JonesAmerican NFL football player
- Carroll Elmer "Deacon" JonesAmerican baseball pitcher
- James Laurie "Deacon" WhiteAmerican baseball player
- Deacon John MooreAmerican R&B musician
- Deacon Tehanakore ManuNew Zealand,born Fijian rugby union player
- Deacon Reese Phillippeson of actors Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe
- Deacon Freyson of musician Glenn Frey of The Eagles
- Deacon Johnson (b. 2006)son of American actor Don Johnson
- John Richard Deaconbassist of Queen
Deacon in Pop Culture
- Deacon Claybournecharacter on TV's "Nashville"
- Deacon Slempsadist in Nathanael West's "A Cool Million" (1934)
- Deacon "Deke" Kayecharacter in the movie "S.W.A.T."
- Deacon Frostcharacter in Marvel Comics
- Deaconcharacter in video game, Fallout 4
- Deacon BlueScottish rock band
- Deacon Hatchercharacter in book series "The Program"
- "Deacon Blues" song by Steely Dan on their 1977 album "Aja"
- Deaconvampire in Taika Waititi's film, "What We Do in the Shadows"
- Deacon Palmercharacter on TV's "King of Queens"
- Deacon Logancharacter from the Bill & Ted movies