The name Astrid is a girl's name of Norse origin meaning "divinely beautiful". Astrid is ranked #714 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Astrid has been a Scandinavian royal name since the tenth century—and more recently in Belgium—but has never really assimilated into our culture the way Ingrid did. Many people associated it with the Swedish author of the Pippi Longstocking stories, Astrid Lindgren.
With the renewed interest in ethnic names, Astrid might be worth consideration by parents with Norse roots.
Astrid is the name of the teenage heroine of Janet Finch's 1999 novel White Oleander and has appeared as a character in How to Train Your Dragon and the TV shows Fringe and Once upon a Time.
Lists containing Astrid:
- Names That Mean Beautiful
- Names with Uplifting Meanings
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- TV Character Names
- Princess Names
- Baby Names from Books
- Magical Christmas Baby Names
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Girl Names Uncommon in the US
- February Baby Names
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls
- Baby Girl Names 2019
- Names That Mean Miracle