Asha Origin and Meaning
The name Asha is a girl's name of Swahili, Hindi, Sanskrit origin meaning "hope; life".
Asha is an Indian name that comes from the Sanskrit word for hope or desire, but it is also a Swahili name derived from Aisha, meaning life. Since the ascendance of Ashley through the 1980s and 90s, all baby names Ash-related have been used in the U.S. for both girls and boys, from Ashlyn to Ashby, Ashton to Asher. Despite its exotic roots, Asha is part of this group. Asha is finding new life through its Game of Thrones connections.
20 Names Similar to Asha
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Asha.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Asha
Famous People Named Asha
- Asha LeoBritish TV presenter
- Asha DanielsAmerican designer & contestant on "Under the Gunn"
- Asha BhosleIndian singer
- Asha ParekhIndian Bollywood actress
Asha in Pop Culture
- Asha Greyjoycharacter in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (renamed Yara in the Game of Thrones TV series)
- Ashaone of the characters in the story "The Fountain of Fair Fortune" within Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
- Asha Grantone of the main characters in the Illuminae Files by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- Ashacharacter in the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
- "Brimful of Asha" song by Cornershop
- Nokia Ashamobile phone
- Asha'bellanara title of the character Flemeth in the Dragon Age video game series. "Asha'bellanar" in Elvish translates to "woman of many years."