Aileen Origin and Meaning
The name Aileen is a girl's name of Irish origin meaning "bright, shining light".
Irish Aileen and Scottish Eileen may be pronounced the same way or Aileen can be pronounced with a long a at the beginning. While neither is particularly stylish, Aileen is slightly more popular and has reversed its downward slide to inch upward in the past few years, perhaps thanks to its stylish A beginning. Nicknames for Aileen include Isla, Ayla, Lee and Lena.
# 641 in the US
Aileen Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Aileen
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Aileen.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Aileen
Famous People Named Aileen
- Aileen Marie QuinnAmerican actress and singer
- Aileen PringleAmerican silent film actress
- Aileen Muriel (Riggin) SouleAmerican Olympic swimmer
- Aileen TanSingaporean actress
- Aileen Lucia FisherAmerican children's author
- Aileen LeeAmerican venture capitalist
- Aileen Blanche Clarke HernandezAmerican activist
- Aileen Yvonne PalmerAustralian poet and diarist
- Aileen PlunkettIrish heiress and daughter of Arthur Ernest Guinness
- (Margaret) Aileen CarrollCanadian politician
- Aileen Carol WuornosAmerican serial killer
- Aileen MehleAmerican society columnist
- Aileen Osborn WebbAmerican craft pioneer
- Aileen Mary Roberts2nd Countess Roberts
Aileen in Pop Culture
- Aileen Morgancharacter on TV's 'Homeland'
- Aileen (McKenzie) FraserJamie Fraser's late mother in the Outlander series