Mother’s Day Names
Better known to the world by her nickname Tina, but born Celestine Ann Beyincé, Knowles gave a version of her maiden name to her older daughter Beyonce, and called the younger Solange. Long popular in France, Célestine was also the name of the painter Degas’ mother.
- Tina, but born Celestine Ann Beyincé, Knowles gave a version of her maiden name to her older daughter Beyonce, and called the younger Solange. Long popular in France, Célestine was also the name of the painter Degas’ mother." >
- Ben Affleck’s mother called Chris assume that it’s short for Christine or Christina, but she was actually born Christopher, and was an honored public elementary school teacher for 30 years. And yes, Christopher is a boy name rarely heard for girls, but why not? According to one source there have been more than 7,000 baby girl Christophers since 1880." >
- Cynthia Germanotta and her daughter, born Stefani, but known as Gaga, have united to launch a non-profit group called the Born This Way Foundation, to mentor kids in self-confidence and careers. Cynthia has roots in classical myth, reached the US Top 10 in the 1950s and 60s, and could come back--but sans the dated nickname Cindy." >
- Georgia Holt—born Jackie Jean Crouch--as glamorous and colorful as her daughter Cherilyn--has also been a singer-songwriter, actress and model; she and Cher have performed together on TV. Georgia is a peach of a name, rich and luscious, now enjoying widespread international popularity. It’s been chosen by Miick Jagger, Zac Brown Harry Connick, Jr, Harrison Ford and Eric Dane for their daughters." >
- Guadalupe Rodriguez Lopez was an encouraging and motivating stay-at-home mom to her three daughters. Guadalupe is a perennially popular name in Spain that has also had a presence in the US, now ranking at 456." >
- Jules Mann-Stewart, mom to Kristen, has been a top script supervisor for over 30 years. Long a female nickname for Julie and Julia, Jules has stepped forward as a girl’s possibility, a la TV personality Jules Asner, born—yes—Julie." >
- Leonie Hemsworth is the mother of three hot and handsome actor sons--Chris, Liam and Luke-- as well being a teacher of English. One of the old leonine Leo-related names that have started to sound fresh again, Leonie was chosen for their daughter by Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel." >
- Nina Bruce Warren Clooney has at one time been both a beauty queen and a city councilwoman. The charming, sophisticated, multiethnic name Nina is a perennial on the popularity list, now at Number 287." >
- Pilar Bardem is a well-known, award-winning, Spanish film and TV actress, also known for her outspoken political views; her son Javier dedicated his Oscar to her. This wonderfully strong Spanish name, with literary cred via Hemingway, deserves more crossover attention." >
- Rosalie Rock, Chris's mom, is both a singer and social worker for the mentally handicapped. Like all the Rose names, Rosalie is on the rise--it came back to life via a beautiful vampire character in the Twilight series. It currently ranks at Number 348 and is 130 on Nameberry." >
- Romilda Villani was a piano teacher and aspiring actress, and protector of her daughter Sophia Loren during the bombings in Italy in World War II. Romilda is almost unknown in the US, but that could possibly change due to the Romilda Vane character in Harry Potter and the growing popularity of Matilda." >
- Zenobia Xenakes, who goes by the name Jeanne, was born in Piraeus, Greece and now is a brokerage employee. Zenobia—the middle name of Tina’s daughter Alice—has literary ties to Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edith Wharton as well as to Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles. Definitely has comeback potential." >
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
on May 9th, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Christopher why not? Sure. But then why do you discourage the name of Ruby for boys amongst several others for being “too girly”? You should try to be less partial and apply the same rules for both genders.
on May 9th, 2015 at 9:46 pm
All these moms have really lovely names and I’ve known for a while that Ben Affleck’s mom was Christopher Anne aka Chris and that’s hard for me to wrap my head around. My grandfather’s name was Christopher. I’m all for gender switching and not believing a name is too “masculine” or too “feminine” but sometimes swtiches shock me. I love Ruby for a boy named Reuben. I love Mischa, Sasha, and Milan because they really are boys names. I love when parents take Peyton back. I love Cassidy and Brooklyn for boys. I even think Poppy can be a boy too. On the other hand I like names like Dylan, Blake, and Maury on a girl.
on May 10th, 2015 at 7:46 pm
I love how diverse the mothers are in this post! Beautiful women with beautiful names!
leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.