Baby Names by the Numbers: The Numerology tool
By Madelyn G.
Need another baby-naming or character-naming tool in your tool belt? Well, let me introduce you to modern numerology. By translating names into numerical equations, modern numerology hopes to reveal hidden information in your name. Today, I’ll be covering three aspects: the expression number, the personality number, and the heart’s desire number.
First, some rules:
Always use the full birth name as recorded on the birth certificate.
Always reduce each name to a single digit.
Never reduce 11 or 22 (pesky exception to rule #2).
Use Y as a vowel in calculations.
Values of Each Letter*
1- A, J, S
2- B, K, T
3- C, L, U
4- D, M, V
5- E, N, W
6- F, O, X
7- G, P, Y
8- H, Q, Z
9- I, R
*Please keep in mind there are other forms of numerology depending on the culture and alphabet.
Let’s get started! I’m going to use Beyoncé as an example because, fan or not, she has an interesting name and a flourishing career in the entertainment business (and I can’t escape talk of #Lemonade). While her name is now Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, I’m going to use the name on her birth certificate, Beyoncé Giselle Knowles. (Fun fact: did you know her mother’s first name is Celestine? How lovely!)
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles
2+5+7+6+5+3+5=33 7+9+1+5+3+3+5=33 2+5+6+5+3+5+1=27
33=3+3=6 33=3+3=6 27=2+7=9
When you add the values of her names- 6, 6, 9- you get her expression number. The expression number describes your talents and strengths, and some numerologists refer to it as a blueprint of your potential.
The personality number is derived from your full name’s consonants at birth. It describes aspects of yourself that you feel comfortable sharing upon first meeting, or in the beginning of a relationship. It is essentially how people tend to see you– the first impression.
2+5+3=10 7+1+3+3=14 2+5+5+3+1=16
10=1+0=1 14=1+4=5 16=1+6=7
The heart’s desire number is derived from your full name’s vowels at birth. It describes the inner you and your underlying urges and is sometimes called the
soul urge number.
5+7+6+5=23 9+5+5=19 6+5=11
So what do these numbers mean, and what did we learn about Beyoncé?
Expression number: 3; Personality number: 4; Heart’s desire: 8
The chart below provides some general characteristics and associations for each number. This is by no means an in depth reading into the numbers. For more
information, I suggest looking up a book on numerology on Amazon or your local library.
• 1– initiating action, pioneering, leader, independent, courageous, stubborn, controlling, egotistical
• 2– cooperation, partnering, mediator, diplomatic, open-minded, intuitive, over-sensitive, vulnerable
• 3– expression, the arts, communicator, optimistic, creative, inspiring, unfocused, superficial
• 4– order, service, doer/worker, organized, dedicated, methodical, narrow-minded, workaholic, stubborn
• 5– expansiveness, adventure, free spirit, visionary, charming, adaptable, unorganized, undisciplined, erratic
• 6– responsibility, protection, teacher/social worker, community-oriented, nurturing, artistic, argumentative, self-righteous, worrywart
• 7– analysis, understanding, philosopher/genius, studious, rebellious, moody, non-communicative, fearful, reclusive
• 8– business, manager/executive, commanding, efficient, organized, power-seeking, domineering, stubborn, materialistic
• 9- creative expression, humanitarian, polite, charming, idealistic, arrogant, egotistical, hot-tempered
• 11– high spiritual plane, illumination, counselor/prophet, intuitive, sensitive, empathetic, unrealistic, self-effacing, nervous, temperamental
• 22– large endeavors, leader, spiritual, high-minded, powerful, nervous, high-strung, dominating
I understand there are many people who think numerology is wackier than astrology, but I think it is fun. I hope other name nerds out there will think it’s fun too, and maybe some expectant parents can try it out during their search for the perfect name.
Please share the results of your own calculations, and let me know if I have made a mistake in Beyoncé’s calculations.