Wilfred Origin and Meaning
The name Wilfred is boy's name of English origin meaning "desires peace".
Wilfred is one of those Old Man Names that still sounds fusty in the US but is fashionable in the UK. It comes with readymade short forms Will or Fred and might make an adventurous alternative to the ubiquitous William. The central character of Walter Scott's Ivanhoe is the knight Wilfred of Ivanhoe. Wilfred Owens was a well-known British poet.
20 Names Similar to Wilfred
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Wilfred.
Lists containing Wilfred
- Posh Baby Names
- Cool Boy Names—Rare, Unique and Unusual
- Vintage Baby Names
- Boy Names Uncommon in the US
- Victorian Boy Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Names with Inspirational Meanings
- Coolated Boys' Names
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Best British Boy Names
- Names That Mean Peace
- Vintage Boy Names
- Old People Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Old Man Names
- Unusual Boy Names
- British Baby Names
- Victorian Names from the 1800s
- Celebrity Baby Boy Names
- Old-Fashioned Boy Names
- Old-Fashioned Names
- Old-Fashioned Cat Names
- Funny Dog Names
- TV Character Names
- Cool Classic Boy Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
Famous People Named Wilfred
- Wilfred Edward Salter OwenEnglish poet
- Wilfred Van Norman LucasCanadian,American actor
- Wilfred RhodesEnglish cricketer
- Wilfred the HairyCount of Barcelona
- Wilfred Patrick ThesigerBritish Arabian explorer
- Wilfred Emmons JacksonAmerican Disney animator
- Wilfred BenítezPuerto Rican boxer
- Wilfred Tennant (b. 2013)son of actors David Tennant and Georgia Moffett
- Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson (b. 2020)son of UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds
Wilfred in Pop Culture
- Wilfreddog on TV's "Wilfred"
- WilfredKnight of Ivanhoe, character in Sir Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe"
- Wilfred Toadflaxmouse in the Brambly Hedge Mice books
- Wilfred Morgenhallseedy old lawyer in John Mortimer's play The Dock Brief (1958)
- The Hon. Wilfred Desertcharacter in the Forsyte series by John Galsworthy
- Wilfred Devizesmental specialist in "Christina Alberta's Father" (1925) by H. G. Wells
- Wilfred Mottcharacter from TV series "Doctor Who"