Hebrew"brother of the exalted one"
Hiram Origin and Meaning
The name Hiram is boy's name of Hebrew origin meaning "brother of the exalted one".
Hiram is the kind of forgotten biblical name that adventurous parents who wish to move beyond David and Daniel are beginning to reconsider--even though it has bits of its old stiff-collared image clinging to it, along with a little hillbilly feel as well. The name belonged to an Old Testament king of Tyre who helped David and Solomon plan and build the temple in Jerusalem, and was a favorite in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, though a couple of well-known bearers dropped it--Ulysses S. Grant was orignially Hiram Ulysses Grant, but he didn't like having the initials H.U.G., and country singer Hank Williams was also born Hiram. With its definite funk factor, and its friendly nickname Hi, Hiram would make a distinctive choice.
20 Names Similar to Hiram
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Hiram.
Famous People Named Hiram
- (Hiram) Ulysses S. Grant18th United States President
- Hiram King "Hank" WilliamsAmerican singer
- Hiram Warren JohnsonU.S Senator and governor of California
- Hiram PowersAmerican sculptor
- Hiram Gillfirst U.S. mayor to undergo a recall election
- Hiram Bithornfirst Puerto Rican MLB baseball player
- Hiram Stevens MaximAmerican inventor
- Hiram Percy MaximAmerican inventor
- Hiram Bingham IAmerican missionary to Hawaii
- Hiram Bingham IIIexplorer and U.S. Senator from Connecticut
- Hiram Leong Fongfirst Asian,American U.S. Senator (Hawaii)
- Hiram F. Smithearly U.S. Pacific Northwest settler
- Hiram WalkerAmerican inventor of Canadian Club Whiskey
- Hiram Law BullockAmerican jazz guitarist
Hiram in Pop Culture
- Hiram Lodgefather of Veronica Lodge in Archie comics and TV's Riverdale
- Hiram BerryRachel's father on TV's "Glee"
- Hiram "Hi" Flagstoncharacter in comic strip "Hi and Lois"
- Hiram FlavershamOlivia's father in Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective"
- Hiram Bakerdoctor on TV's "Little House on the Prairie"
- Hiram McDanielsfive,headed dragon in "Welcome to Night Vale"
- Hirama very popular name for Masonic Temples
- Hiramcharacter in movie & novel "The 19th Wife"
- Hiram Stolowitskicharacter in Kathy Reich's "Virals"
- "The Adventures of Hiram Holliday" TV series
- Hiram Roth aka Alistair FergusFederation President in 1986 film Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Hiram Burrowscharacter in the video game Dishonored