Greek"dive into, enter"
Endymion Origin and Meaning
The name Endymion is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "dive into, enter".
The name of a mythically handsome youth – loved by Selene, the moon, who bore him fifty daughters.
20 Names Similar to Endymion
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Endymion.
Famous People Named Endymion
- Endymion PorterEnglish diplomat
- Endymion Porter WilkinsonEnglish diplomat and Sinologist
Endymion in Pop Culture
- EndymionGreek mythological character; beautiful youth, son of Jupiter and Calyce, beloved by the moon goddess Selene, from Greek, perhaps literally "diver, plunger," from endyein "to enter into, sink into, plunge, dive," which was used in reference to the sun or stars setting into the sea. On this theory, he originally was a solar deity, a personification of the setting sun.
- "Endymion" (1818)narrative poem by John Keats about the Greek mythological character
- Endymion Ferrarsweet,tempered title character of Disraeli's "Endymion" (1880 novel)
- Prince Endymiona character in anime "Sailor Moon"
- "Endymion" novel by Dan Simmons about Aenea and Raul Endymion
- "Endymion Spring" novel by Matthew Skelton and its main character
- Endymiona very popular Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Usual English pronunciation: enDIM,ee,un