Eithne Origin and Meaning
The name Eithne is girl's name of Irish origin meaning "nut kernel".
Pretty and soulful name of a goddess from Irish mythology and several Irish saints. Singer Enya, born Eithne Ní Bhraonáin, has made the Anglicized spelling familiar. Eithne comes from the vocabulary word "kernel", which was used as a term of praise in old bardic poetry.
20 Names Similar to Eithne
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Eithne.
Famous People Named Eithne
- Saint Eithne6th century Irish saint from Leinster with her sister Sodelb
- Eithnewife of the High King Fiacha Finnfolaidh; mother of Tuathal Teachtmhar
- Eithnemother of Saint Columba
- Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáinbirth name of Enya, Irish singer,songwriter
- Eithne Ní UallacháinIrish singer,songwriter
- Eithne StrongIrish poet and writer of fiction
- Eithne DunneNorthern Irish actress
- Eithne CoyleIrish Republican activist
- Eithne FitzgeraldIrish economist and politician
- Eithne HanniganIrish musician and actress
- Eithne WallsIrish physician and dancer
Eithne in Pop Culture
- Ethniu or EithneIrish mythological figure; daughter of the Fomorian leader Balor; mother of Lugh
- Also translates as Etna; both pronunciations are used across Irelanddepending on dialect