Claudius Origin and Meaning
The name Claudius is boy's name of German origin meaning "lame; enclosure".
Claudius is one of the most user-friendly of the ancient Roman names – even though it's associated with the villainous character in Shakespeare's Hamlet. But as with feminine form Claudia, the "lame" meaning may stymie the rise of Claudius. Some etymologists theorize that the name may relate to the word for enclosure or clause, an alternate meaning that may appeal to a child with a form of this otherwise-appealing name.
20 Names Similar to Claudius
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Claudius.
Lists containing Claudius
- Ancient Roman Names for Boys
- Ancient Roman Names
- Shakespeare Baby Names
- Operatic Baby Names
- Cool Boy Names From Ancient Cultures
- Gladiator Baby Names
Famous People Named Claudius
- (Tiberius) Claudius Caesar Augustus GermanicusRoman Emperor
- Claudius GothicusRoman Emperor
- Claudius LysiasRoman tribune mentioned in the Bible
- Claudius AelianusRoman scholar of Greek
- Claudius Hart HustonAmerican industrialist and politician
- Benoit "Claudius" CrozetFrench,American educator and civil engineer
- Claudius SalmasiusFrench classical scholar
- Claudius ClavusDanish cartographer
Claudius in Pop Culture
- Claudiusking in Shakespeare's "Hamlet"
- Claudius Templesmithannouncer in The Hunger Games series
- "Claudius Bombarnac" novel by Jules Verne and its main character
- "IClaudius," a book by Robert Graves and miniseries about Roman Emperor Claudius