Scottish and English from French"from the brushwood thicket"
Bruce Origin and Meaning
The name Bruce is a boy's name of French, Scottish, English origin meaning "from the brushwood thicket".
Bruce is a Norman place name made famous by the Scottish king Robert the Bruce, who won Scotland's independence from England in the fourteenth century. It's perennially popular in Scotland, but has been rarely used here for a generation -- though the impact of Bruces Lee, Springsteen, Dern and Willis, as well as Batman's Bruce Wayne -- still lingers. At one time Bruce was so widespread in Australia, it became a nickname for any Ozzie man. An interesting alternative is Brix, the Normandy place name where the Bruce family originated.
# 563 in the US
Bruce Rank in US Top 1000
# 283 on Nameberry
Bruce Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Bruce
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Bruce.
Famous People Named Bruce
- (Walter) Bruce WillisAmerican actor
- Bruce TimmAmerican artist, character designer, animator, writer, producer and actor
- Bruce Frederick Joseph SpringsteenAmerican musician nicknamed "The Boss"
- Bruce Lee (Junfan), American actor and martial artist
- Bruce MacLeish DernAmerican actor
- (William) Bruce Jennerbirth name of Caitlyn Marie Jenner, American decathlete and TV personality
- Bruce Raymond GradkowskiAmerican football player
- Bruce William Miller IIIAmerican football player
- Bruce Lorne CampbellAmerican actor
- Bruce GreenwoodCanadian actor and producer
- Bruce Joseph ForsythJohnson, British TV presenter
- Bruce DickinsonBritish lead singer of band Iron Maiden
- Bruce Leslie McLarenNew Zealand race car designer and driver
- Bruce SmithAmerican NFL Hall of Fame football player
- Bruce SeldonAmerican boxer
- Bruce William BoxleitnerAmerican actor
- Bruce BeresfordAustralian film director
- Bruce CockburnCanadian folk/rock guitarist and singer,songwriter
- Bruce HornsbyAmerican pianist
- Bruce KulickAmerican musician of KISS and Grand Funk Railroad
- Bruce AriansAmerican NFL head coach
- Bruce BochyAmerican baseball manager
- Robert the Bruce aka Robert IKing of Scots
- Bruce Julian Knight Granofsky (b. 2019)son of actor Krysten Ritter and musician Adam Granduciel
- Bruce Morrow (b. 1935) American radio performer famous as "Cousin Brucie"
Bruce in Pop Culture
- Bruce Wayne aka BatmanDC Comics superhero
- Bruce Banner aka The Incredible HulkMarvel Comics superhero
- Bruce the Sharkcharacter in "Finding Nemo"
- Bruce Nolanmain character in 2003 film "Bruce Almighty"
- Bruce Patmancharacter in "Sweet Valley High"
- Bruce Picardcharacter in "Sims" series
- Brucecharacter on TV's "Grandfathered"
- Bruce Goodmancharacter in video game 'Ace Attorney'
- Bruceminor character on TV's Family Guy
- Bruceone of the Delightful Children From Down The Lane on animated series "Codename: Kids Next Door"
- The Bruces SketchMonty Python's Flying Circus
- Bruce Bogtrottercharacter in "Matilda"
- Mr. Brucechihuahua dog in the 2019 film "Hustlers"
- Bruce Maddoxcharacter in the TV series, Star Trek: The Next Generation & later on Star Trek: Picard , Bruce Maddox was a male Human 24th century Starfleet cyberneticist, one of the most prominent Federation researchers in that field in the late 24th century. He worked in the Cybernetics Division of the Daystrom Institute and, in 2365, was the Associate Chair of Robotics. He would later be promoted to Chair of Robotics.
- Brucea deer villager from Animal Crossing
Bruce in Nameberry Blog Posts
- The Cutest Celebrity Baby Names
- The Top Scottish Names You Never Hear
- Baby Name Timeline
- How I Named My Baby: Koda Florian
- Classic Boy Names: John’s Extended Family
- March Babyberries Bring Good News!
- Wild Animal Names: and other name news
- Weird Celebrity Baby Names
- Updating Popular 1950s Names
- 150+ English Names
- Top Baby Names by Letter Through the Ages
- Transforming Top to Uncommon Male Dog Names