EE, AY, UH
Aodh Origin and Meaning
The name Aodh is a boy's name of Gaelic origin meaning "fire".
Aodh, the name of the Celtic sun god meaning "fire", was common in early Scotland. It's also the origin of the wildly popular Irish name Aidan (originally Aodhán). Its pronunciation varies depending on region: AY or EE are Irish pronunciations, and in Scotland it's closer to UH, and has been Anglicized as Hugh.
20 Names Similar to Aodh
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Aodh.
Famous People Named Aodh
- Aodh Méith13th,century king of Tír Eoghain (Tyrone), Ireland
- Aodh Mac Cathmhaoil (or Hugh MacCaghwell)Irish Franciscan theologian and Archbishop of Armagh
- Aodh Buidhe Mac an Bhaird (or Hugh Ward) Irish Franciscan friar and poet
- Aodh Ó Con CeanainnKing of Uí Díarmata
- Aodh de Blácam (or Hugh Saunders Blackham)Irish journalist
Aodh in Pop Culture
- Aodhlegendary son of King Lir and Eve
- Also pronounced as "ade" or "athe" (as in bathe)