Vashti Origin and Meaning
The name Vashti is a girl's name of Persian origin meaning "lovely".
This Persian name with an Old Testament pedigree has a warm Sasha-like feel. The Biblical Vashti was a queen who refused her husband's orders to appear naked in front of his party guests and so was deposed in favor of Esther. For her independent spirit, Vashti has become something of a feminist icon.
20 Names Similar to Vashti
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Vashti.
Lists containing Vashti
Famous People Named Vashti
- Vashtibiblical Persian Queen who refused to appear nude in front of her husband at a party
- Vashti Bartlett (18731969), US nurse who served with the American Red Cross during World War I, and in Siberia and Manchuria after the war
- (Jennifer) Vashti Bunyan (b. 1945)English folk singer,songwriter
- Vashti ClarkeJamaican model, actress and entrepreneur
- Vashti Cunningham (b. 1998)US track and field athlete specializing in the high jump
- Vashti McCollum (19122006) the plaintiff in the landmark 1948 Supreme Court case McCollum v. Board of Education, which struck down religious education in public schools
- Vashtie Kola (often stylized as Va$htie)US music video director, filmmaker, artist, designer, creative consultant and disc jockey
- Vashti Murphy McKenzie (b. 1947)bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Vashti Whitfieldwidow of Spartacus actor Andy Whitfield
Vashti in Pop Culture
- Vashti"devilish" actress in Charlotte Bronte's novel 'Villette' (based on the real,life actress Rachel Félix)
- Vashticharacter in E.M. Forster's 'The Machine Stops'
- 'Vashti' (1869)novel by Augusta Jane Evans
- Vashtia rural Texan character in the 1956 film 'Giant' starring Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson
- Pronounced "VASHtye" with a long "I"
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.