The name Ursula is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "little female bear". Ursula and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "ALPHABET Drop 2 Add 1 - Girls".
From the experts:
A saint's name with a noteworthy literary background, including uses by Shakespeare in Two Gentlemen of Verona and Much Ado About Nothing, by Ben Johnson, Walter Scott, Longfellow, D. H. Lawrence and Neil Gaiman. In real life, her two most well known representatives are writer Ursula Le Guin and actress Ursula Andress. In literature, there is also Ursula Iguaran, a key, long-lived character in Gabriel Garcia Marquez's major work, One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Caveat: Today's kids might associate this name with the campy, corpulent octopus in Disney's The Little Mermaid.
Ursula ranked in the Top 1000 through 1983. Time for a comeback?
Lists containing Ursula:
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Old Lady Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With U
- Names with Animal Meanings
- Soap Opera Baby Names
- Disney Baby Names
- Shakespeare Baby Names
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Cool Classic Girl Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Great Names for Small Dogs
- German Shepherd Puppy Names
- Unique Celebrity Baby Names