Muriel Origin and Meaning
The name Muriel is a girl's name of Irish origin meaning "of the bright sea".
Once a poetic Celtic name, that of the angel who governs the month of June, Muriel became the mom or grandma on TV sitcoms. She does have literary cred via Edinburgh-born author Muriel Spark, author of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and also appears as a character in Anne of Green Gables. Muriel was a Top 200 name from 1912 to 1933.
20 Names Similar to Muriel
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Muriel.
Lists containing Muriel
Famous People Named Muriel
- Muriel Sarah SparkScottish novelist
- (Violette) Muriel BoxEnglish screenwriter and director
- Muriel Faye "Mickie" SiebertAmerican financier; first woman to own a seat on the New York Stock Exchange
- Muriel RukeyserAmerican poet
- Muriel DayNorthern Irish singer
- Muriel Elizabeth BowserAmerican politician; mayor of the District of Columbia
- Muriel Irene McBrien KauffmanAmerican philanthropist; founding co,owner of the Kansas City Royals baseball team
- Muriel Lilian PavlowBritish actress
- Muriel Burrell SmithAmerican singer and actress
- Muriel BeaumontLady du Maurier, English actress; mother of novelist Daphne du Maurier
- Muriel BoucherZazoui, French ice dancing coach
- Muriel AngelusEnglish actress
Muriel in Pop Culture
- Murielcharacter in the mobile game 'The Arcana'
- Muriel Rushcharacter on TV's "Too Close for Comfort"
- "Muriel's Wedding" 1994 film
- Muriel Heslopmain character in "Muriel's Wedding"
- Great Aunt Muriel Weasleycharacter in the "Harry Potter" series
- Muriel Baggeelderly main character on animated series "Courage the Cowardly Dog"
- Muriel P. Finstercharacter in animated series "Recess"
- Murielcharacter on TV's "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody"
- Muriel Blandingswife of the title character in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
- Muriel Goldmancharacter on TV's "Family Guy"
- Murielwise old goat in George Orwell's "Animal Farm"
- Lady Muriel Ormemain character in Lewis Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno novels
- Muriel McCombermain character in Eugene O'Neill's "Ah, Wilderness!" (1933)
- Muriel Pritchettcharacter in Anne Tyler's "The Accidental Tourist" (1985)
- Muriel StacyAnne's teacher in L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series
- Murielvillain in film "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" (2013)
- Murielcharacter in 1998 made,for,tv film "David and Lisa"
- Muriel GlassSeymour Glass's girlfriend and then wife in J.D.Salinger's works
- Chandler Muriel Bingcharacter on NBC's "Friends"