Kwame Origin and Meaning
The name Kwame is a boy's name of African origin meaning "born on Saturday".
The Akan people of Ghana and the Ivory Coast frequently name their children after the day of the week they were born and the order in which they were born. Most Ghanans have a name using this system (think Kofi Annan, whose name means born on a Friday). Kwame is the name for boys born on a Saturday. (The name for girls born on a Saturday is Amma).
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Kwame
Famous People Named Kwame
- Kwame Nkrumah1st President of Ghana
- Kwame James BrownAmerican basketball player
- Kwame AyewGhanaian footballer
- Kwame WatsonSiriboe, American soccer player
- Kwame HarrisJamaican NFL football player
- Kwame Anthony AppiahBritish novelist and philosopher
- Kwame HollandAmerican rapper and producer
- Kwame KweiArmah (born Ian Roberts), British actor and playwright
- Kwame Touré (born Stokely Carmichael)Trinidadian,American civil rights leader
- Kwame AlexanderAmerican children's author
Kwame in Pop Culture
- Kwame O'Riellycharacter on British TV series "Metrosexuality"
- Kwameone of the Planeteers on animated series "Captain Planet"