Hortense Origin and Meaning
The name Hortense is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "of the garden".
Hortense is actually the French feminine form of Hortensia, the name of a strong, politically active early Roman woman. Hortense began to be used in the English-speaking world in the nineteenth century. Napoleon had a stepdaughter named Hortense, it was the name of one of the main characters in the film Secrets and Lies and is also associated with novelist Hortense Calisher. As unappealing as it might be to most American parents, Hortense is now Number 311 in France.
20 Names Similar to Hortense
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Hortense.
Lists containing Hortense
Famous People Named Hortense
- Hortense Eugénie Cécile de BeauharnaisQueen consort of Louis Bonaparte of Holland; stepdaughter of Napoleon I
- Hortense ManciniDuchesse Mazarin, mistress of King Charles II of England
- Hortense PowdermakerAmerican anthropologist
- Hortense Catherine SchneiderFrench soprano
- Hortense CalisherAmerican novelist
- Hortense EllisJamaican reggae singer
- Hortense Allart de Méritens aka Prudence de Saman L'EsbatxItalian,French feminist novelist
- Hortense RhéaBelgian,French actress
- Hortense DiédhiouSenegalese Olympic judoka
- Eugénie Hortense Auguste NapoléonePrincess of Leuchtenberg; Princess of Hohenzollern,Hechingen; granddaughter of Empress Josephine of France
Hortense in Pop Culture
- Hortensea Spotted Owl in the "Guardians of Ga'hoole" series
- Hortense Josepha character in "Small Island" by Andrea Levy
- Hortense McDuckcharacter in the "Scrooge McDuck" comics
- Hortense Sagecharacter in Jenny Nimmo's "The Children of the Red King" series
- Hortense "Horty" Hathawaya 1920s showgirl in the movie "Bloodhounds of Broadway"
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.