Gail Origin and Meaning
The name Gail is a girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning "my father rejoices".
Gail was a mid-twentieth century favorite, which has been far surpassed by its original form, Abigail and nickname Abby. Spelling variations include Gale and Gayle, the latter represented by TV journalist and Oprah bestie Gayle King. Gail was most popular in the 1950s, when it was in the Top 40, and could rise again, possibly as a middle.
20 Names Similar to Gail
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Gail.
Lists containing Gail
Famous People Named Gail
- Gail SimmonsCanadian TV chef
- (Yolanda) Gail DeversOlympic gold medalist in track and field
- Gail Carson LevineAmerican fantasy novelist
- Gail KimCanadian professional wrestler
- Betty Gale "Gail" RussellAmerican actress
- Gabriella Joyce "Gail" KobeAmerican actress
- Gail GodwinAmerican novelist
- Gail SimoneAmerican comic book writer
- Gail SheehyAmerican author, journalist, and lecturer.
- Savannah Gail Worleydaughter of singer Darryl Worley & Kimberly Perkins
Gail in Pop Culture
- Gail McIntyrecharacter on British soap "Coronation Street"
- Gail Peckcharacter on TV's "Rookie Blue"
- Gail Emorycharacter on TV's "American Gothic"
- Gailcharacter in graphic novel/film "Sin City"
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.