Clifford Origin and Meaning
The name Clifford is a boy's name of English origin meaning "lives near the ford by the cliff".
Clifford is beginning to overcome a slightly stodgy intellectual image and showing signs of possible revival. Kids might or might not like the association with the big red dog. In England, the Clifford family was a powerful family in the Middle Ages. In this country, it was well used for most of the twentieth century, peaking at Number 57 in 1909, but a Top 100 name through 1950. Most prominent American bearers: playwright Clifford Odets and jazz trumpet great Clifford Brown.
20 Names Similar to Clifford
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Clifford.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Clifford
Famous People Named Clifford
- Clifford Joseph Harris aka T.I.American rapper
- Clifford Smith aka Method ManAmerican rapper
- Clifford Ian Simpsonaka Kevin Abstract, American rapper
- Clifford OdetsAmerican playwright
- Clifford BallAmerican aviator
- Clifford Parker "Cliff" Robertson IIIAmerican actor
- Clifford Alan PickoverAmerican science author
- Clifford S. Chapin IVAmerican actor and animator
- Clifford James GeertzAmerican anthropologist
- Clifford Bundy "Cliff" StearnsSr., U.S. Congressman from Florida
- Clifford Lee "Cliff" BurtonAmerican former bass guitarist for Metallica
- Clifford Edward BerryAmerican inventor
- Clifford Michael IrvingAmerican Author
- Clifford Glenwood ShullAmerican physicist; winner of the Nobel Prize
- Clifford Tobin "Cliff" DeYoungAmerican actor and musician
- (Clifford) Porter HallAmerican actor
- Clifford Lee "Cliff" BurtonAmerican bass guitarist for Metallica
- Clifford Charles "Cliff" ArquetteAmerican actor
- Clifford John "Cliff" BoleAmerican TV director
- Clifford Vivian Devon "Cliff" CurtisNew Zealand actor
- Arthur Clifford "Cliff" MichelmoreEnglish TV presenter
- Clifford Allen "Cliff" HarrisAmerican NFL player
- Clifford Olinson of American actors Ken Olin and Patricia Wettig
Clifford in Pop Culture
- Clifford the Big Red Dogchildren's book and TV character
- Clifford Montgomerycharacter on Canadian parody soap "Le coeur a ses raisons"
- Clifford "Cliff" Clavincharacter on TV's "Cheers'
- Clifford "Cliff" Blossomcharacter in Archie Comics Universe
- Clifford "Cliff" Steelealso known as Robotman, character in DC Universe
- Clifford Danielsmain character played by Martin Short in the 1994 black comedy film "Clifford"