Literary elaboration of Clara"bright, clear"
Clarinda Origin and Meaning
The name Clarinda is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "bright, clear".
A poetic name first used in Edmund Spenser's "The Faerie Queene" in 1596, it had a literary vogue in the 18th century, especially favored by Robert Burns. "inda" names--Melinda, Belinda, Linda" are not particularly in right now.
20 Names Similar to Clarinda
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Clarinda.
Lists containing Clarinda
- Classic Baby Names with a Twist
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Names That Mean Hope
- Brilliant Names That Mean Light
- Colonial Names from the 1700s
Famous People Named Clarinda
- Clarinda Maria SinnigeDutch field hockey player
- Clarindapen name of a 17th century Peruvian female poet
Clarinda in Pop Culture
- Clarindacharacter in Spenser's epic The Faerie Queene
- Clarindaname given by Scottish poet Robert Burns to Agnes Maclehose
- Clarindaa major character in The Virtuoso, a play first produced in 1676
- Clarindaa major character in The Lovers' Progress, an early 17th,century play
- Clarindaa character in The Deserving Favourite, another early 17th,century play
- Clarindaa character in the play The Sea Voyage, licensed for performance in 1622
- "Clarinda" 1948 novel by Vicki Baum, also published as Headless Angel
- Lady Clarindacharacter in Thomas Love Peacock's 1831 novel Crotchet Castle