Amparo Origin and Meaning
The name Amparo is a girl's name meaning "refuge, shelter".
Amparo is a medieval name related to the Virgin Mary most closely associated with the city of Valencia, in Spain. Although it does not appear at all on the most recent US name roster, meaning it was used for fewer than five babies last year, it was used in the US throughout the 20th century.
20 Names Similar to Amparo
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Amparo.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Amparo
Famous People Named Amparo
- María de los Desamparados "María Amparo" Muñoz y Borbón1st Countess of Vista Alegre, daughter of Queen María Christina of the Two Sicilies and Agustín Fernando Muñoz, Duke of Riánsares
- Amparo MuñozSpanish beauty queen; Miss Universe 1974
- (María) Amparo RivellesSpanish actress
- (María) Amparo NogueraChilean actress
- Amparo IturbiSpanish pianist
- María Amparo Ruiz de Burtonfirst Mexican,American author to write in English
- Amparo LlanosSpanish singer of band Dover
- Amparo AckerPalmer, Spanish cell biologist
- Amparo RubialesSpanish politician
- Amparo ArrebatoColombian dancer
- Amparo GrisalesColombian actress
- Amparo BaróSpanish actress
- Amparo Poch y GascónSpanish anarchist and activist
- Amparo Robles Custodio aka ChichayFilipina actress and comedienne
- Amparo Sánchez aka AmparanoiaSpanish singer,songwriter
- (María) Amparo OchoaMexican singer,songwriter
- (María) Amparo Soler LealSpanish actress
- Amparo MontesMexican singer
- María Amparo EscandónMexican,American novelist
- Kristin Viktoria Amparo (Sundberg)Swedish pop singer
Amparo in Pop Culture
- Amparo Lima do Valecharacter on Brazilian telenovela "Marisol"
- Amparo Jorgelina Sotocharacter on Spanish telenovela "Soy gitano"
- Amparo Lagmancharacter in film "Once Upon a Time in Manila"
- Amparo Montoyacharacter in Mexican,Colombian telenovela "Las Bandidas"
- AmparoPortuguese and Spanish word meaning refuge or shelter (and in a broader sense, protection)
- Amparoa contraction of "Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados" (Our Lady of the Forsaken), an apparition of the Virgin Mary that appeared in Valencia, Spain in 1409