Odette Origin and Meaning
Odette is the good swan in Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake, a role for which Natalie Portman won an Oscar ---and it would make a particularly soigne, sophisticated yet upbeat choice, unlike some of the more dated other 'ette'-ending names.
Odette de Crecy, is the flamboyant wife of Charles Swann in Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu.
The name became publicized during World War II via the courageous French Resistance heroine Odette Brailly, who risked her life to supply information to the Allies, was captured by the Germans, and wrote her story which was retold in an eponymous film.
Actor Mark Ruffalo chose Odette for his daughter.
Variant Odetta is associated with the folksinger who was one of the first to go by a single name.
Odile, who is Odette's evil Swan Lake twin, gives her name a sinuous, sensuous appeal.
Odette Rank in US Top 1000
Odette Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Odette
Famous People Named Odette
- Odette Juliette AnnableAmerican actress
- Odette HallowesFrench WWII heroine
- Odette MyrtilFrench,American actress and violinist
- Odette JoyeuxFrench actress
- Odette LaureFrench actress
- Odette Ruffalodaughter of American actor Mark Ruffalo
- Odette Mercerdaughter of American singer James Mercer of The Shins
- Odette GiuffridaItalian judoka
- Odette Elliott Padalecki (b. 2017)daughter of actors Jared and Genevieve Padalecki
Odette in Pop Culture
- Odettecharacter in animated movie "The Swan Princess"
- Odettethe good swan in the ballet "Swan Lake"
- Odette de Crecycharacter in Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past"
- Odettecharacter in the animated movie "Leap!"
- Odettecharacter on TV's 'The Handmaid's Tale'