Cy Origin and Meaning
This evocative short name is suddenly chic — it was recently chosen by Jennifer Lawrence for her baby boy. JLaw's son's name honors Cy Twombly, the influential mid-century American artist. Born Edwin Parker Twombly Jr., both Cy Twombly and his father shared a nickname after baseball player Cy Young (himself born Denton True Young).
We foresee Cy heating up in a big way, along with other Cy- names like Cypress, Cyan, and Cyra.
Cy Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Cy
Famous People Named Cy
- Edwin Parker "Cy" TwomblyAmerican painter
- Denton True "Cy" YoungAmerican baseball pitcher
- Cy Aridio PeregoSaldana (b. 2015), son of American actress Zoe Saldana and Italian artist Marco Perego; twin brother Bowie Ezio
- Cy Quinn (b. 2019)daughter of model Arizona Muse.
Cy in Pop Culture
- Cy the CardinalIowa State University mascot
- Cy Blue Blackcharacter from movie "Rocket Gibraltar"
- Cya Cylon from Galactica 1980 in TV's "Battlestar Galactica"
Cy in Nameberry Blog Posts
- 200 Best Twin Boy Names 2024
- Twin Names: The Ultimate Guide
- Model Names Reflect Diversity on the Runway
- Where To Find A Cool Vintage Boy Name
- Best C Names for Boys
- Nicknames for Babies Have Never Been Cooler
- Feminizations Carry Girl Power
- 50 Rare Gender-Neutral Names Heating Up
- Brother Names
- The Baby Names That Should Be on Everyone's List
- Transforming Top to Uncommon Male Dog Names
- Sibling Names: The Ultimate Guide
- Rare Names With Popular Nicknames
- Names Meaning Fire For Your Little Spark
- Unique Nature Names for Christmas Babies