Baby Names That Nobody (but Nobody) Is Using

100+ truly unique names

unique baby names

by Pamela Redmond

Baby namers desperate for an original choice have always begged us for our top-secret list of names that nobody but nobody else has. You know, the truly wonderful baby names with deep history and wide appeal that somehow remain completely undiscovered.

The only problem was we didn’t have such a list….until now. Then we decided to run the new 2016 extended list of baby names from the Social Security Administration — all the baby names recorded in the US last year — against the complete list of names in our own database. What’s left is an accounting of names that were used for NO children in 2016, a collection of truly unique baby names.

But the list still contained nearly 5000 names, so we had to narrow it further. What are the best, the most usable choices among the names that were given to zero babies?

Here are our top 100 picks from our unique list of unique names. You may well find as many names here that you consider ridiculous as you feel are wonderful. But there are enough true gems in a range of styles, from deeply historic to futuristic, traditional to invented, that most adventurous baby namers will find one to suit their taste.

girls

boys

* indicates required

comments

43 Responses to “Baby Names That Nobody (but Nobody) Is Using”

ElenaCroatia Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 3:26 am

I really LOVE Eulalie, Eluned and Lucasta and I love the fact that they’re this rare. Traveler is also a really great name!

Orchid_Lover Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 4:37 am

I’m shocked that Taddeo is so uncommon, especially with Theodore and Thaddeus becoming more popular.

I would add Florentine, Florette/Fleurette, and Viviette.

It would be really neat to see this narrowed down to names that have never made the SSA list. Endellion, Nephele, Madrigal, and Eluned are my favorites that meet that criteria. I also love Mazarine, Venetia, and Kerensa!

nuttymussel Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 6:21 am

I love Araminta, Hester, Averill and Ludovic!

leespieces Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 7:21 am

It is quite funny that nobody names their kid Letitia in the US, while in Germany I know at least 4 of them (with different spellings like Laetitia and Letizia though) – and, oh my God, I LOVE the name Jericho. I’ve had it on my list for so long!!!

namefan Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 7:49 am

I’d like to point out that there may not have necessarily been *zero* babies given these names last year. The SSA doesn’t release names given to less than five babies in a year for privacy reasons, so there may have been up to four babies that were given one of these names.

EmmaMay Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 9:09 am

I am so surprised to see Diablo on the girls list (on the list at all)….who would name their child that? Why is that any better than Lucifer?

Also, of course Romilly was given to 0 boys — it’s a girls name…

dresdendoll Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 9:52 am

Spring and Springer

thesilenceinbetween Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 10:56 am

I LOVE the name Daffodil, but the nickname “Daffy” feels inevitable, and I’m not a fan. I also like Araminta, Finola, Franny (although I’d imagine that many Franceses, Francines, and Francescas would go by Franny too), Letitia, Marcellina, Petronilla, and Romola. Jocasta is also pretty, but the Oedipus connection makes that one a no-go. I’d like Melisande if it didn’t make me think of Melisandre from ASOIAF. And I’ve long thought that Perdita is pretty, but the meaning is too sad IMO.

From the boy’s list, I like Cassio and Thibault, although Thibault would be forever mispronounced and misspelled in the US. Humphrey might be nice if the first four letters weren’t “hump”. Kermit, IMO, can only ever be a frog, and thanks to Kipling, I’d be suspicious of any Rudyard I met. Also, I would hate to be named Pagan in this country.

Orchid_Lover Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 11:31 am

Oh Taddeo is an alternative spelling as is Averill…other spellings are more common so that explains it. Jericho is used for boys but not much for girls which really isn’t surprising. And I think Diablo just shouldn’t be in the NB database especially as a girls name. Is there some historical female Diablo that justifies it? Lucasta has never made the SSA list…had to look up the description, interesting. I can see the appeal. I think Ludovic nn “Ludo” could work.

The oldest living person I knew was named Letitia. She lived to be 113.

Whitepages used to have a “name popularity” page that was useful for very rare names that don’t make the SSA list often but I can’t find it anymore. Sometimes Facebook people search can be useful.

zsazsa00 Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I think this list was so fun, and was surprised to see how many names still felt quite mainstream/ “usable”. I wasn’t surprised to see some of my choices on this list as I do love a more unique name. Branwen and Eleazar rank very high on my personal lists. I would love to see the names that didn’t make this list, or haven’t made it on a ranking in a few years.

clairels Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 1:25 pm

@Orchid_Lover

Diablo Cody is fairly well-known woman author and screenwriter.

brianerose Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Wonderful list, thank y’all!

I love many of these names and seriously considered some for my daughter: Araminta, Ottoline, Eluned, Mazarine (!), Eulalie, Ianthe, and Zephyrine (!). I also love Kassian, Oberan, Thoreau, Romilly (actually @emmamay, it IS a male name as well). Middles I adore are Roone, Night, Whimsy, Story, Season, and West.

ladimon Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Leocadia is such a wonderful name, I wish more people knew of it. It’s been one of my favourites for a while now.

ARead Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I know a Winsome and an Umberto, a Tibor and a Ludovic but none of them live in the US, so I guess that explains it.

I had no idea Araminta was so rare…with such an awesome namesake there in Harriet Tubman. I also love Endellion (!), Ianthe, Melisande, Ottoline, Signy, and Zephyrine for girls and Gower and Florent for boys.

My daughter’s middle name, Story, made the boys’ list. Wonder if SSA will ever start publishing stats on middle names.

Not sure why people would want to name their kid something like “Diablo”…seems like you’re kinda alienating them from some religious options when they grow up unless they want to change their name someday. I’m assuming the writer chose that as a pen name as an adult. Kinda different from pinning an alienating (and to some, perhaps even offensive) name on a baby/child.

Mega_Muffin Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I love Araminta, Artemisia, Circe, Eulalie, Leocadia, Melisande, Morwenna, Ottoline, and Zephyrine. (And Theophania, which didn’t make the list but should have, IMO.) Of the boys’ names, I like a lot fewer: Auberon, Ludovic, Raoul, and Scorpio. It is surprising to see that some of these names are so rare since they come up so regularly on the boards. Maybe in the future!

lesliemarion Says:

May 26th, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Wonderful list. Hope it will boost the use of some of these names.

Others that might qualify for the list that I can think of are Harvest, Boudicca, Ghislaine, Tribeca, Eglantine, Clarimond, Berengaria, Corisande, Esclarmonde, Diantha, Tupelo, Cameo, Yamileth, Zamora, Tressa, Phryne, Demelza, Nuala, Mauve, Persis, Lettice, Garland, Angharad, Morag, Mariposa, Petrova, Villette, and Jessamyn. (though some might be in the top 1000, too tired to look them all up)

tfzolghadr Says:

May 27th, 2017 at 11:10 am

Artemisia and Eleazar are to die for. Love, love, love them…

fayexo Says:

May 27th, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Wonderful list! I especially like Bluebell, Daffodil, and Bee for girls and Traveler and Puck for boys.

jmsouthern Says:

May 27th, 2017 at 2:34 pm

I can’t help but think of the Grecian Urn dance from The Music Man when I see Eulalie (Mackecknie Shinn).

paulapuddephatt Says:

May 28th, 2017 at 5:49 am

Eulalie is stunning. I hear Eulalia discussed regularly. Eulalie is more usable, to me. Where can we find the extended list? I would be interested.

MissTrash Says:

May 28th, 2017 at 6:20 pm

My father, grandfather and nephew all have names on these lists and they are all different!

huia Says:

May 30th, 2017 at 4:56 am

I’m really surprised some of these girls names weren’t used last year! My favourites are Circe, Eulalie, Ianthe, Jessamy, Jocasta, Kerensa, Lucasta, Marcellina, Mazarine, Morwenna, Nephele, Ottoline, Perdita, Rhonwen, and Romola. Not a huge fan of the boys’ names… like Cassio, and Jericho and Oberon (from the girls’ list…)

Want to give your baby a genuinely unusual name? Experts reveal the baby names that NOBODY is using – 1OO Club Says:

May 30th, 2017 at 6:45 am

[…] experts from Nameberry have come up with a list of names that NO ONE is currently […]

Pam Says:

May 30th, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Thanks, everyone, for all these positive comments. True, some of these names may have been given to as many as four babies in the US last year, and some may have made the extended list other years. But they are still very very rare. At some point, we will publish the full list of all the names not on the extended list but in the NB database (which we confined for which we have actual commentary). There are so many luscious choices here, agreed!

FelicitySmoak Says:

May 31st, 2017 at 1:36 am

From the girl list, my favorite is definitely Mazarine. I did not really like any of the names on the boy list.

FelicitySmoak Says:

May 31st, 2017 at 1:41 am

P.S. those commenting on Diablo and referencing Lucifer – I love the name Lucifer! I don’t like Diablo though.

Unique Baby Names: The Monikers Parents Aren’t Using Anymore Including Coralia, Basie and Moe – Mommies Today Says:

May 31st, 2017 at 9:09 am

[…] Redmond, founder of Nameberry, said parents using the baby-naming website are constantly on the search for a list of names nobody […]

bjunec Says:

May 31st, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I’m shocked not a single (or not at least 5) boys were named Moe! And how cute is Minette!

Unique Baby Names Nobody Has Used (Yet) – Today's News Says:

June 1st, 2017 at 12:04 pm

[…] Nameberry understands this struggle, which is why they’ve compiled a list of the most original names that were unused in 2016. […]

These Are the Unique Baby Names No One Uses Anymore | Nifymag.com Says:

June 2nd, 2017 at 1:26 am

[…] there may be such a thing as “too unique” of a name. Researchers at Nameberry procured a list of names that weren’t used for newborn babies once in 2016, which had over 5,000 names, and narrowed it down to 124, creating a truly exclusive list for […]

Experts Reveal the Baby Names No Parents Are Choosing [Video] | Buzz AffCart Says:

June 3rd, 2017 at 6:11 am

[…] To see the full list of 100 unique baby names, visit Nameberry. […]

Wyndre Says:

June 4th, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Yeah, reading this list I’m not shocked that people aren’t using these names.

10 prénoms qui n’ont pas été donnés à des bébés en 2016 au Québec | Métro Says:

June 5th, 2017 at 2:16 pm

[…] que le résultat soit plus québécois, on a fait l’exercise de prendre le top 100 de Nameberry et de vérifier si ces prénoms ont été donnés au […]

KyleMcKenzie Says:

June 6th, 2017 at 2:41 am

Just out of curiosity…if there were 5000 names in the database that no one used, how many names did people use that were not in the database?

Looking for a unique baby name? These are the names that no one used in 2016 – National | Globalnews.ca Says:

June 6th, 2017 at 9:13 am

[…] a recent blog post, the site narrowed the list down to 100 names — 50 for girls and 50 for boys — that […]

June 6th, 2017 at 9:13 am

Baby Names No One Is Using Anymore Says:

June 8th, 2017 at 11:55 am

[…] compile the list, Nameberry took the Social Security Administration’s 2016 baby names and compared it with their complete […]

Haids1987 Says:

June 9th, 2017 at 9:54 am

I absolutely cannot get enough of this list. I love uncommon names, and these are truly the most uncommon right now! And the best part is, they’re mostly great! Please make this an annual list. I love it!

These Are the Unique Baby Names No One Uses Anymore – Give Me The Newz Says:

June 11th, 2017 at 12:11 pm

ssdreamer Says:

June 13th, 2017 at 2:30 am

Interesting & cool list! I believe no one has ever named their child: Halloween – which is surprising since so many people love the holiday. If I ever have a child, and since my fav holiday is Halloween, I would def consider using Halloween as a middle or first name! (maybe spelled alternatively a la Hallareen for a girl or Halloren for a boy…) 🙂

Vintageinretro Says:

June 27th, 2017 at 12:41 am

I named my daughter Winsome in September 2016. I’ve never seen her name on any lists before, so that’s fun. Of course, saying that not even one parent has used any of these names has just been debunked (;

Squidli Says:

August 14th, 2017 at 7:43 am

Odd. My son’s name is Puck Lucky.

The Baby Names Absolutely Nobody in the World Is Using – Just Girly Things Says:

September 18th, 2017 at 9:04 am

[…] but simply that less people are picking it. According to this report by WCCO, baby name site Nameberry has compiled a list of 5,000 monikers that didn’t make the cut for […]