French form of George, from Greek"farmer"
Georges Origin and Meaning
The name Georges is boy's name meaning "farmer".
The S may confuse English speakers, but it's a French classic.
Famous People Named Georges
- GeorgesPierre Seurat, French painter
- Georges Jacques DantonFrench Revolutionary figure
- Georges MélièsFrench illusionist and filmmaker
- Georges BraqueFrench painter
- Georges NiangAmerican basketball player
- (Joseph) Georges Gonzague VézinaCanadian ice hockey player
- Georges Jean Franz KöhlerGerman biologist, winner of the Nobel Prize
- Jean Léopold Nicolas Frédéric "Georges" CuvierFrench naturalist
- Alexandre César Léopold "Georges" BizetFrench composer
- Jerzy "Georges" CharpakFrench physicist, winner of the Nobel Prize
- Georges de La Tour17th,century French Baroque painter
Georges in Pop Culture
- Georgesmain character in "Liar and Spy" by Rebecca Stead
- Pronunciation: (zh'orzh) as in the "g" in "mirage"