Diminutive of Florence"flourishing, prosperous"
Flossie Origin and Meaning
The name Flossie is girl's name of Latin origin meaning "flourishing, prosperous".
Flossie was an extremely popular Florence nickname that was used independently in the early twentieth century, given to over five hundred girls per year a century ago. Flossie was one of the younger twins in the iconic children's book series The Bobbsey Twins, first published in 1904. Appealing, if a little cutesy--sweet as candy floss. A similar name is Florrie.
20 Names Similar to Flossie
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Flossie.
Famous People Named Flossie
- Yee Ching "Flossie" WongStaal, Chinese,American virologist
- Katherine "Flossie" BaileyAmerican civil rights activist
- Flossie GomileChidyaonga, Malawian diplomat
- Flossie M ByrdAmerican economist
- Flossie Elizabeth PageAmerican supercentenarian
- Florence "Flossie" Scovel ShinnAmerican artist and author
- Florence "Flossie" van StratenAmerican naval engineer
- Flossie Mae Haggardmother of country singer Merle Haggard
Flossie in Pop Culture
- Flossie Bobbseyone of The Bobbsey Twins; twin of brother Freddie
- Flossie Devinecharacter in book/film "The Milagro Beanfield War"
- Florence "Flossie" Burnscharacter in the Ukridge series by P.G. Wodehouse
- "Flossie & the Fox" children's book by Pat McKissack