Variation of Barnabas"son of comfort"
Barney Origin and Meaning
The name Barney is boy's name meaning "son of comfort".
The name Barney is hot among hip Londoners and it has been above the Top 500 in the UK since 2012. You can see why - it's got a friendly happy sound and a lovely meaning and is more easily worn than Barnabas. However, Barney is a more difficult sell in America, due to Barney the Dinosaur and Barney Gumble, the loveable lout from The Simpsons. In the positive column for Barney are jazz clarinetist Barney Bigard and guitarist Barney Kessel. For those who love the name but can't get past the dinosaur, may we suggest the related names Bernard or Barnaby?
20 Names Similar to Barney
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Barney.
Lists containing Barney
- Taurus Baby Names
- Forever Geeky Names
- Names with Inspirational Meanings
- Laid Back Baby Boy Names
- Urban Prairie Names
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Best British Boy Names
- Old Man Names
- Nicknames for Baby Boys
- Reptile Names
- Old-Fashioned Boy Names
- Old-Fashioned Names
- Rabbit Names
- Unique Dog Names
- Funny Dog Names
- Cute Cat Names
- Cute Dog Names
- TV Character Names
Famous People Named Barney
- Barnett "Barney" FrankU.S. Congressman from Massachusetts
- Barney KesselAmerican jazz guitarist
- Albany Leon "Barney" BigardAmerican jazz clarinetist
- Berna Eli "Barney" OldfieldAmerican racing driver
- Barney MartinAmerican actor
- Barney Ross (born DovBer David Rosofsky), American boxer
- Barnaby John "Barney" HarwoodEnglish TV personality
- Barnett Jerome "Barney" DansonCanadian cabinet minister
- Bernhard "Barney" DreyfussAmerican baseball team owner
- Barney SedranAmerican basketball player
- Barney Barnato (born Barnet Isaacs)South African diamond mogul
- Barney PeltyAmerican baseball player
- (William) Barney McCoskyAmerican baseball player
- Bernard Ernst "Barney" BerlingerAmerican decathlete
- Barney AaronEnglish boxer
- John "Barney" Yazici aka ThatGuyBarneyTurkish,American YouTuber
Barney in Pop Culture
- Barney Fifecharacter from "The Andy Griffith Show"
- "Barney Miller" TV sitcom and its main character
- Charles Bernard "Barney" BartonMarvel comics character
- "Barney & Friends" children's TV show about a purple dinosaur
- Barnabas "Barney" Stinsoncharacter from "How I Met Your Mother"
- Barney Gumblecharacter from "The Simpsons"
- Barney Rubblecharacter on "The Flintstones"
- "Barney Google and Snuffy Smith" comic strip
- Barney BearMGM animated character
- Barney Snowcharacter in movie "The Bumblebee Flies Anyway"
- Barney Rossa main character in "The Expendables" movies
- Barneys New Yorkluxury American department store
- Barney Butterbrand of almond butter
- Barney (Rubble)Cockney rhyming slang for "trouble"