Scottish surname from a diminutive of William"resolute protection"
Wilkie Origin and Meaning
The name Wilkie is a boy's name of Scottish origin meaning "resolute protection".
William was such a popular name, thanks to the Conquerer, in early England that it gave rise to a range of nicknames, including the distinctly Scottish Wilkie. Heard mostly as a surname these days, it's the middle name of Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick's son James and the first name of writer Collins. While Wilkie could make an adorable short form for a little boy, we'd recommend a more substantial full name such as, well, William.
20 Names Similar to Wilkie
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Wilkie.
Lists containing Wilkie
Famous People Named Wilkie
- (William) Wilkie CollinsEnglish novelist
- Wilkie Bard (born William August Smith)English music,hall comedian
- Wilkie D. FergusonJr., U.S. federal judge
- Wilkie Olaf Patua RasmussenCook Islands politician
- Walter Ernest "Wilkie" WilkinsonEnglish mechanic and racing enthusiast
- Wilkie ClarkAmerican entrepreneur and civil rights activist
- Wilkie CooperEnglish cinematographer
- James Wilkie Broderickson of Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker
Wilkie in Pop Culture
- Wilkecharacter name in TV series "Switched at Birth"
- Wilkie Twycrosscharacter in "Harry Potter"