Vaino Origin and Meaning
The name Vaino is a boy's name of Finnish origin meaning "wide river, backwater".
A popular Finnish male name properly spelt Väinö, which derives from Väinämöinen – a hero from Finnish legend. Vaino (without the diacritic marks) is a Finnish word meaning "persecution" and so is not used in Finland as a name in this form.
Famous People Named Vaino
- Väinö Tannerformer prime minister of Finland
- Väinö LinnaFinnish novelist
- (Kaarle) Väinö VoionmaaFinnish politician
- Väinö HuhtalaFinnish Olympic skier
- Väinö LiikkanenFinnish Olympic skier
- Väinö Olavi LeskinenFinnish politician
- Väinö IkonenFinnish Olympic wrestler
Vaino in Pop Culture
- Vaino means "persecution" in Finnish; Vaino and Väinö are unrelated