Irish, Anglicization of Diarmaid"free from envy"
Dermot Origin and Meaning
The name Dermot is a boy's name of Irish origin meaning "free from envy".
Dermot is an appealing, relatively undiscovered Irish mythological hero's name long popular in the Old Country, and imported into the American consciousness by actor Dermot Mulroney. We see it in the next Celtic wave following Connor and Liam.
The name Dermot was borne by several early kings and a number of saints, as well as the legendary king of Tara. A further plus: The legendary Diarmaid (pronounced DEER-mit), a member of the band of Finn MacCool, had a mark on his face that caused women to fall instantly and madly in love with him.
Kermit the Frog owes his name to a regional variant of Dermot.
20 Names Similar to Dermot
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Dermot.
Lists containing Dermot
- Alternatives to Ryan
- Best Two Syllable Names
- Irish Names for Dogs
- Names That Mean Freedom or Free
- Two-Syllable Boy Names
- Unique Irish Boy Names
- Unique Irish Names
Famous People Named Dermot
- Dermot MulroneyAmerican actor
- (Seán) Dermot Fintan O'LearyBritish television and radio presenter
- Dermot Christopher AhernIrish cabinet minister
- Dermot WeldIrish racehorse trainer
- Dermot John MorganIrish actor/comedian
- Dermot GallagherIrish football referee
- Deromt KennedyIrish singer,songwriter
Dermot in Pop Culture
- Dermot Poveycharacter on British sitcom "Men Behaving Badly"