Irish"strength or exalted one"
Biddy Origin and Meaning
The name Biddy is a girl's name meaning "strength or exalted one".
A once very common Irish diminutive of Bridget that has unfortunately been associated since the 18th century with a pejorative slang term for an old or fussy woman.
20 Names Similar to Biddy
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Biddy.
Lists containing Biddy
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Names That Mean Strong
- Black History Names
- Crazy Nicknames for Girls
- Colonial Names from the 1700s
Famous People Named Biddy
- Joan Maureen "Biddy" BaxterEnglish TV producer ("Blue Peter")
- Bridget "Biddy" MasonAmerican nurse, entrepreneur and philanthropist
- Biddy Rockman NapaljarriAustralian Aboriginal painter
- Biddy JenkinsonIrish poet
- Bridget "Biddy" HodsonEnglish actress
Biddy in Pop Culture
- Biddycharacter in Charles Dickens' Great Expectations
- Biddy Byrnea main character in Irish TV series Glenroe
- Biddy Mulligana character played by Jimmy O'Dea, an Irish actor and comedian
- "Biddy Mulligan the Pride of the Coombe" song by Seamas Kavanagh