Algernon Origin and Meaning
The name Algernon is a boy's name of French origin meaning "moustached man".
While this name came into being in the Victorian era as a nickname for a man with whiskers, the name was quickly embraced as a true name by the Victorians and is likely most familiar to you as the name of Oscar Wilde's fabulous character in The Importance of being Earnest . However, Algernon is not confined to the fictional world of satire; many real world namesakes exist including US footballer Algernon Crumpler (aka Alge Crumpler), British impressionist painter Algernon Talmage, and Canadian astrophysicist Joseph Algernon Pearce, who discovered many thinks about the Milky Way. Plus, who can go past the adorable nickname Algie?
20 Names Similar to Algernon
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Algernon.
Lists containing Algernon
- Fancy, Elegant, Sophisticated Baby Names
- Posh Baby Names
- Fancy Boy Names
- Victorian Boy Names
- Best British Boy Names
- Steampunk Baby Names
- Victorian Names from the 1800s
Famous People Named Algernon
- Algernon Charles SwinburneEnglish poet
- Algernon Henry BlackwoodEnglish novelist
- Algernon SidneyEnglish political philosopher and politician
- Algernon Sidney PaddockU.S. Senator from Nebraska
- Algernon Robert Fitzhardinge KingscoteBritish tennis player
- Algernon H. LeeAmerican socialist politician and educator
- Algernon Usborne WillisBritish fleet admiral
- Algernon Griggs "Algie" McBrideAmerican baseball player
- Ralph George Algernon Percy12th Duke of Northumberland
Algernon in Pop Culture
- Algernon: mouse in "Flowers for Algernon" (1966) by Daniel Keyes
- Algernon RowanWebb: character on TV's "The Worst Witch"
- Algernon Moncrieff: young manabout,town in Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" (from the 1895 play: "I really can't see why you should object to the name of Algernon. It is not at all a bad name. In fact, it is rather an aristocratic name. Half of the chaps who go into the Bankruptcy Court are called Algernon.")
- Algernon: character in Erin Hunter's "Warriors" book series
- J. Algernon Hawthorne: character portrayed by TerryThomas in the 1963 film "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"