Adah Origin and Meaning
Adah is a biblical name twice over—one was the mother of Jabal and Jubal, the other was a wife of Esau. The latter Adah and Esau’s descendants settled in Edom and became the Edomites. Adah is unrelated to the visually similar name Ada, which is Germanic in origin.
Pronounced AH-dah, this unusual biblical name—the first female name in Genesis after Eve and given to a number of women in the Old Testament—is a softer Ada equivalent.
Adah Rank in US Top 1000
Adah Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Adah
Famous People Named Adah
- AdahBiblical figure, first wife of Lamech or Esau
- Adah Isaacs MenkenAmerican actress
- Adah Belle Thomspioneering American WWI nurse
- Adah SharmaBollywood actress
Adah in Pop Culture
- Adah Ellen Pricecharacter from Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible"
- Adah Keithcharacter in "A Life of Faith" book series