In today’s baby name scenario, middle names have moved from insignificant supporting players to full-fledged costars, with a very small number of parents electing to avoid the issue and use no middle name at all.
So this week’s question is: what role does a middle name play for you?
- Would you or did you use one or two or more middles?
- Would that position be reserved for mom’s maiden name, another family name or a personal hero you wish to honor?
- How about the idea of honoring both grandmothers or grandfathers as Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin did with their kids Apple Blythe Allison and Moses Bruce Anthony?
- Would you put that slightly too outré name you don’t quite dare to use as a first into second place? Or, flipping that coin, would you give your creatively named child a classic middle for him to fall back on?
- How much do sound, syllables, initials factor into your decision?
- If the child has a unisex first name, would you give him or her a more gender-specirfic middle?
- How would this baby’s middle name relate to those of her present or future siblings’?