40+ Neglected Namesake Names–Boys’ edition

comments

21 Responses to “40+ Neglected Namesake Names–Boys’ edition”

southern.maple Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 12:06 am

Jubal Early was also a bounty hunter in Firefly. Just saying. ;)

I would especially like to see these get some more love: Adlai, Calder, Eleazar, Jabez, Jubal, Noble, Philo, Zebulon

memomo Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 12:07 am

My husband love-love-loves Eero. It is a cool name, but not sure if it really is usable. Eames I could almost do…except that it’s “eemes” not “ames.” For some reason that makes a big difference to me.

From this list, I also like:
Adlai
Calder
Lafcadio
Noble
Solon
Thorne
Upton

I think you really have to have the right last name to pull a lot of these off.

JH Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 12:15 am

I like the idea of Booth because it’s my all-time favorite teacher’s last name. Not sure about it as a first name….maybe as a middle name?

KBurb Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 12:20 am

Adlai is going to be our boy’s name! So excited to see it get love!! Just don’t want to see it get tooooo much love ;)

frustratedauthor Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 1:14 am

I like so many of these!

Birch
Calder
Eleazar
Jabez
Jubal
Thorne
Zebulon

maggiemary Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 4:03 am

Philo Farnsworth was the inventor of the world’s first electronic television but the inventor of the FIRST ever television was a Scotsman called John Logie Baird.

BettyDoGooder Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 8:31 am

I think there is a good reason some of these names don’t get much attention! in particular Branch, Button, Burr, Dickinson(seriously no) and Lemon….

Danni Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 9:44 am

Alpheus is an interesting way to get to nickname Alfie! Alpheus is a little stuffy, but distinguished. Alfie definitely softens it and makes it more approachable.

Button is a little too cutesy for a first name, but would make a very sweet and fun middle name.

Birch, Branch, Greenleaf, Lemon, Salmon. and Thorn(e) are fascinating choices, but too “wordy” for me! Greenleaf is pretty spectacular for a middle name, though.

I love that so many of these men carried and used their mothers’ maiden names, but Meriwether….wow. That’s a doozy. At least Meri or Merry is a lovely nickname.

Of all these names, Calder and Romare hit the sweet spot: unusual but not too out there.

Freya_1983 Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 9:46 am

I love the inclusion of Potter “I know it when I see it” Stewart!

Birch would have been a nice inclusion as would Harlan.

Madelyn Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I like many of these- Adlai, Alpheus, Calder, Eero, Greenleaf, Jubal, Meriwether, Noble, Thorne, and Upton. I also like Eleazar, but I think I prefer the Eliezer spelling.

lua Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I LOVE the name Adlai – but my only concern is its similarity to all of the super popular “Addie” girls names, especially Adaleigh (various spellings).

jtucker Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I absolutely love Jubal from this list of names. I could so see a little Jubal running around.

iwillpraise Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Atlee, Birch, Branch, Burr, Button and Greenleaf (I do like Whittier tho – nn Whit) are interesting. Canada, Cotton, Crispus, Deems would also be in that category. (I mean, Deems? really?) Jupiter, Lemon, Potter, Salmon, Upton, Ub and Thorne don’t move me either. And I truly think that I’d rather be called Lewis than Meriwether…. don’t think I’d like Nunnelly either.

Seems to be a lot of noun/nature names present in our American heritage than you would think! Makes me think of my dear friends who have chosen nature/season names for their children – Julia Autumn and Cullen Leif – due to have another boy in Dec! They were married in and LOVE the Fall season and have creatively reflected this as you can see. They may be in the running for a middle name of Birch/Branch/Ashton/Oakly… she told me she’d use Pumpkin if she possibly could! LOL, I just love her- what a cute little family!

Philo kinda sounds dog-like to me, but I can kind of half see Calder or Eastman used in this present age. Romare, on the other hand, seems extremely dreamy; reminds me of Romeo. Would you pronounce this Ro-MAR-ay or Ro-MAHR? I prefer the first of course!

Now, Dickenson Richards almost sounds redundant – doesn’t it? I would love to meet a little boy named Dickens or Dickenson (love the reference to Charles Dickens!) but really, who could possibly use such a name in this society?

And Jubal, Isham and Hermes fall into a category all their own. (To be frank, Vasso sounds more like a remedy to get rid of an STD (ie, Hermes) than Hermes’ sister), but Jabez and Zebulon are Biblical names getting more love these days!

iwillpraise Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

* I was just making a point with my above comment of Hermes/Vasso – I know this is NOT the STD, but certainly sounds similar! sorry, it’s just where my mind went, and I’m sure where others minds may wander too, if used as a name

Magpie Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 4:41 pm

A little correction: Deems Taylor was also a middle name. His first was Joseph.

Keyla Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Crispus’ last name is Attucks, not Atticus :)

KateMP91 Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 8:35 pm

This is a fabulous list!!

My favorites are:
Adlai
Booth
Calder
Deems
Eastman
Jupiter – prefer on girl, I think.
Lemon – definitely prefer on girl!
Rembrandt
Thorne

Briggs is in my top 5 and Deems has a VERY similar feel, IMO.

anziekayp Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Love this list…Adlai is due for a revival. Also love Calder, Eero and Eames!

vaness1 Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I can definitely see myself using Noble or Calder, and I am intrigued by Adlai and Alpheus. Interesting list!

tfzolghadr Says:

November 20th, 2013 at 8:57 am

So glad to see Eleazer on this list! Such a wonderful name that needs a comeback…

aturley Says:

January 11th, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Cotton is a sweet, soft name, but I don’t think it can shake the association with slavery. Not for this Southern mama, anyway.