Greek mythological name, meaning unknown
Thisbe Origin and Meaning
The name Thisbe is girl's name of Greek origin.
Thisbe, the name of a beautiful but tragic lover in mythology, is lively and cute -- in a slightly thistly, prickly way. Ovid retold the story of Thisbe and Pyramus, young lovers in ancient Babylon kept apart by family rivalry, which was the inspiration for Romeo and Juliet. A modern bearer of the name is writer Thisbe Nissen.
In Sarah Dessen's novel Along for the Ride, the baby daughter is named Thisby, nn Isby.
20 Names Similar to Thisbe
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Thisbe.
Lists containing Thisbe
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- Literary Baby Names Inspired by Authors
- Shakespeare Baby Names
- Offbeat Baby Names
- Magic Names
- Unique Girl Names: Unusual Names for Your Baby Woman
- Uncommon Girl Names
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Literary Baby Names
- Unique Dog Names
- Creative Baby Names
- Literary Dog Names
Famous People Named Thisbe
- Thisbe Nissenauthor
- Thisbe VosDutch,born jazz singer
Thisbe in Pop Culture
- Thisbe Caroline "Isby" WestAuden's little half,sister in 'Along for the Ride' (2009) by Sarah Dessen
- Aunt Thisbea black cook and housekeeper in "The Fire and the Hearth," the second of seven stories in 'Go Down, Moses' (1942) by William Faulkner
- A genus of butterflycomprised of 7 species (the most widespread of which is Thisbe irenea)
- According to PausaniasThisbe was a Boeotian city named after a nymph.
- Tisbe (the Italian version) is the name given to one of the mean/ugly stepsisters in La Cenerentola (Cinderella)an opera by Rossini.
- Thisbe Triskelioncharacter in Cruel Beauty
- "Pyramus and Thisbe" the inspiration for Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and the play that the Mechanicals in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" put on for Theseus.