Greek"she who is milk-white"
Galatea Origin and Meaning
The name Galatea is girl's name of Greek origin meaning "she who is milk-white".
This name's meaning derives from the material from which the mythical sculptor Pygmalion chiselled his ideal woman - she was carved from ivory. Pygmalion fell in love with his creation and Aphrodite, taking pity on him, brought the sculpture to life. The woman was named Galatea due to her incredibly pale skin. The Pygmalion myth was the inspiration behind the story of "My Fair Lady" starring Julie Andrews on stage and Audrey Hepburn on screen.
20 Names Similar to Galatea
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Galatea.
Famous People Named Galatea
- GalateyaBulgarian rhythmic gymnastic
- Zeena Galatea LaVeybirth name of Zeena Schreck, daughter of Church of Satan founder Anton LaVey
Galatea in Pop Culture
- "La Galatea" (1585)Miguel de Cervantes' first novel
- Galateacentral character in John Lyly's 1592 play "Gallathea"
- GalateaArethusa's lady in "Philaster" (1611) by Beaumont and Fletcher
- "Galatea's Guitar" (1968)song by Gabor Szabo
- GodEye Galatea, a character in Norihiro Yagi's "Claymore"
- Galatea Merrythoughta minor character in the Harry Potter series
- Galatea "Gala" Brandcharacter in the 1955 James Bond novel "Moonraker"
- Galatea Dunkelcharacter in "On the Road"
- Galateaandroid character in the movie "Bicentennial Man"