Diminutive of Frances"free man"
Fanny Origin and Meaning
The name Fanny is girl's name meaning "free man".
As this word is less often used to mean derriere, it becomes more possible to view Fanny as the kind of appealingly quaint nickname name, like Josie and Nellie, that many parents are favoring now.
20 Names Similar to Fanny
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Fanny.
Lists containing Fanny
- Alternatives to Sadie
- Cool Cowgirl Names
- Names That Mean Freedom or Free
- Victorian Girl Names
- Bad Girl Names
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Wild Western Names for Dogs
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Crazy Nicknames for Girls
- Olympic Baby Names
- Vintage Nicknames for Girls
- Victorian Names from the 1800s
- Colonial Names from the 1700s
- Ugly Names for Pets
- Country Girl Names
- Extinct Baby Names
Famous People Named Fanny
- Fanny Brice (born Fania Borach)American actress/comedian
- Frances "Fanny" BurneyEnglish novelist
- Fanny Bullock WorkmanAmerican geographer and explorer
- Fanny MendelssohnGerman composer; sister of composer Felix Mendelssohn
- Frances Jane "Fanny" CrosbyAmerican blind composer of more than 8,000 hymns
- Francina Elsje "Fanny" BlankersKoen, Dutch track athlete
- Sarah "Fanny" Durackfirst Australian female to win a swimming Olympic gold medal
- Frances "Fanny" Imlaydaughter feminist author Mary Wollstonecraft; half,sister of novelist Mary Shelley
- Fanny RaskSwedish ice hockey player
- Fanny Cradock (born Phyllis Nan Sortain Pechey)English restaurant critic and TV personality
Fanny in Pop Culture
- Fanny Pricecharacter in Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park"
- Fanny Davilowmother of Gwendolen in George Eliot's "Daniel Deronda"
- Fanny "Fan" Keithyounger sister of Millie Keith in "A Life of Faith" series
- Fanny Hillfictional heroine of her own letters to a friend, "describing her sexual experiences in chaste language in pornographic tour de force subject of many legal trials since its publication" (1748)
- Fanny Pricecharacter in "Of Human Bondage" (1915) by W. Somerset Maugham
- Fannycharacter in Enid Blyton's "Faraway Tree" series (in some modern reprints she is now named Frannie because of Fanny's unpleasant connotations)
- Aunt Fannycharacter in Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" series
- Fanny Dashwoodcharacter in 'Sense and Sensibility' by Jane Austen
- Fanny Redlettscharacter in Nancy Mitford's "The Pursuit of Love" and "Love in a Cold Climate"
- Fanny Fulbright aka Numbuh 86character on animated series "Codename: Kids Next Door
- Aunt Fannycharacter in the movie "Robots"
- FannyBritish slang for the vagina
- FannyAmerican slang for the buttocks