Irish variation of Elizabeth"pledged to God"
Eilis Origin and Meaning
The name Eilis is girl's name of Irish origin meaning "pledged to God".
Familiar in the US thanks to the lovely movie Brooklyn, based on the Colm Toibin novel of the same name. Popular in medieval times, it is still used in Ireland (properly spelt with a fada: Eilís) could make an alternative to the super-popular Isla. Eilish and Eibhlis are alternate forms.
20 Names Similar to Eilis
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Eilis.
Lists containing Eilis
Famous People Named Eilis
- Eilis DillonIrish novelist
- Eilis Ni DhuibhneIrish novelist
- Eilis O'HanlonIrish journalist and writer
- Eilis KirwanIrish film director
Eilis in Pop Culture
- Eilis Laceymain character in novel/film "Brooklyn"