Sibyl Origin and Meaning
The name Sibyl is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "seer, oracle".
The original but less common spelling of the ancient mythological name, now used mostly for fictional witches. But the rise of the lovely Lady Sybil Crawley on television's Downton Abbey and the fall of the multiple personality Sybil, a self-confessed fake, may give Sibyl and Sybil more credibility as a name.
20 Names Similar to Sibyl
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Sibyl.
Lists containing Sibyl
Famous People Named Sibyl
- Sibyl LudingtonAmerican revolutionary
- Sibyl SandersonAmerican operatic soprano
- Sibyl BuckAmerican musician and model
- Sibyl Mary HathawayDame of Sark
- SibylLady Colefax, English interior decorator and socialite
- Sibyl MoholyNagy, German art historian and author; wife of artist László Moholy,Nagy
- Sibyl Enid Vera Munro Morrisonfirst woman barrister in New South Wales, Australia
Sibyl in Pop Culture
- Sibyl VaneDorian's love interest in Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray"
- The Sibylsoracular women believed to possess prophetic powers in ancient Greece and Rome. From Greek Sibylla, of uncertain origin (said to be from Doric Siobolla, from Attic Theoboule "divine wish")
- The Temple of the SibylPoland's first museum (est. 1801); contained objects "pertaining to the glories and miseries of human life"
- Sebilealternatively written as Sedile, Sebille, Sibilla, Sibyl and other similar names, is a mythical medieval queen or princess who is frequently portrayed as a fairy or enchantress in the Arthurian legends and in Italian folklore
More Lists containing Sibyl
- Greek Names
- Greek Names for Girls
- 5 Letter Girl Names
- Girl Names Ending in L
- Names That Mean Oracle
- Two Syllable Names for Girls
- Names that Peaked in 1919
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.