Ornella Origin and Meaning
The name Ornella is a girl's name of Italian origin meaning "flowering ash tree".
Like many a popular name, Ornella is a theatrical creation. Italian playwright Gabriele d'Annunzio created this name for his dramatic heroine in the 1904 play La Figlia di Iorio. Ornella is a feminization of the orno or ornello, which is the Italian word for the Fraxinus Ornus, a type of tree which produces such sweet sap that it was compared to biblical manna.
20 Names Similar to Ornella
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Ornella.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Ornella
Famous People Named Ornella
- Ornella Muti (born Francesca Romana Rivelli)Italian actress
- Ornella BarraMonegasque business executive
- Ornella FiorentiniItalian poet
- Ornella VanoniItalian pop singer
- Ornella OngaroFrench motorcycle racer
- Ornella FerraraItalian marathon runner