Moby Origin and Meaning
The name Moby is a boy's name.
Moby, the nickname of musician Richard Melville Hall, was thanks to his ancestor Herman Melville, creator of the infamous whale. You can imagine calling a child Moby as a cute nickname in honor of a grandfatherly Richard or Dick, but the ghost of a Dick would always follow the name around. In Melville's classic book, Moby was an invented word whose meaning has never been firmly established, though the best scholarship calls it a fictional place name that, in the custom of whaling ships of the time, helped identify the whale called Dick.
20 Names Similar to Moby
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Moby.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Moby
Famous People Named Moby
- Mobystage name of Richard Melville Hall, American techno singer and songwriter
- Milbry Eugene "Moby" BenedictAmerican baseball player
Moby in Pop Culture
- "MobyDick," novel by Herman Melville about the title white whale
- Moby the Robotcharacter on education website BrainPOP
- Mobybird character in video game "Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link"
- Moby GrapeAmerican rock band