Llywelyn Origin and Meaning
The name Llywelyn is a boy's name of Welsh origin.
This is the original form of the ancient name also spelled Llewelyn. In ancient Wales, it was borne by two princes who for a time united their countrymen in North Wales and led opposition to the power of the Norman barons in the south. Llywelyn ap Iorwerth was the greatest of the Welsh rulers of the Middle Ages. This is a popular patriotic name, with nicknames Llelo and Llew, which is also Welsh for 'lion.'
20 Names Similar to Llywelyn
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Llywelyn.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Llywelyn
Famous People Named Llywelyn
- Llywelyn the GreatPrince of Gwynedd
- Llywelyn ap GruffuddPrince of Wales
- Llywelyn ap MerfynKing of Powys
- Llywelyn ap SeisyllKing of Gwynedd
- Llywelyn BrenWelsh revolutionary
- Llywelyn ap DafyddPrince of Gwynedd
- Llywelyn WilliamsWelsh MP
Llywelyn in Pop Culture
- Llywelyn is the original Welsh spellingLlewellyn the Anglicization.