Despina Origin and Meaning
The name Despina is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "lady".
Despina is best known as the clever and wily maidservant character in Mozart's opera "Cosi fan Tutte". It is a name of Greek origin, related to the Despiona, who in Greek mythology was the daughter of Demeter and Poseidon. In its native Greece, Despina is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable -- DESS-pi-na -- but in Italy, Portugal, and other countries where the name is often found, it's usually pronounced dess-PEE-nah.
20 Names Similar to Despina
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Despina.
Lists containing Despina
Famous People Named Despina
- Despina Khatun (born Theodora Megale Komnene)Princess of Trebizond
- Despina "Debbie" MatenopoulosAmerican TV host
- Despina VandiGreek pop singer
- Dena "Despina" OlympiouGreek Cypriot pop singer
- Despina PapamichailGreek tennis player
- Despina Davidovitch StorchTurkish WWI spy for Germany
Despina in Pop Culture
- Despinacity name in Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities
- Despinacharacter in Mozart's opera Così fan tutte (1790)
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.