Cynthia Origin and Meaning
A favorite of Elizabethan poets, Cynthia was first used in the English-speaking world during the Classical period, from the late sixteenth to the eighteenth century. Some English writers used the name to denote Queen Elizabeth I as a virgin moon goddess; Ben Jonson's allegorical comedy Cynthia's Revels features her as the main character.
One of Elizabeth Taylor's first grownup roles was as the young lead of the 1947 film Cynthia, and Cynthias have popped up in a number of movies since, including Magnolia, Secrets & Lies, and First Wives Club -- and there is a mortal named Cynthia in the Twilight series.
Notable namesakes include ballerina Cynthia Gregory, writer Cynthia Ozick, actress Cynthia Nixon, and designer Cynthia Rowley. Both Cyndi Lauper and Cindy Crawford were born Cynthia.
A more modern, Cindy-avoiding nickname is Thea, and an attractive Italian form is Cizia (CHIN-zia).
Cynthia Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Cynthia
Lists containing Cynthia
- Midcentury Baby Names
- Top 1970s Baby Names
- Top 1960s Baby Names
- Feminine Girl Names
- Top 1950s Baby Names
- Most Common Names for Girls
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Fastest-Rising Names on Nameberry
- Botanical Baby Names
- Butterfly Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Classic Girl Names
- Names That Mean Moon
- Nature Names for Babies
- Botanical Baby Names
- Colonial Names from the 1700s
- Mythological Names
- Mythology Girl Names
- Goddess Names for Babies
- Flower Names for Girls
Famous People Named Cynthia
- Cynthia WeilAmerican songwriter
- Cynthia Ann McKinneyU.S. Congresswoman from Georgia and Green Party presidential candidate
- Cynthia "Cyn" SantanaAmerican model and reality TV personality ("Love & Hip Hop")
- Cynthia BaileyAmerican reality TV personality ("Real Housewives of Atlanta")
- Cynthia DeFeliceAmerican novelist
- Cynthia D'Aprix SweeneyAmerican author
- (Cynthia) Jane Fellowessister of Princess Diana
- Cynthia ErivoBritish Broadway actress
- Cynthia Dawn "Cindy" MargolisAmerican actress and model
- Cynthia "Cindy" Morris ShermanAmerican photographer & director
- Cynthia Jane "Cindy" WilliamsAmerican actress
- Cynthia Ann "Cindy" BirdsongAmerican singer of The Supremes
- Cynthia Ellen NixonAmerican actress
- Cynthia RylantAmerican novelist
- Cynthia OzickAmerican novelist
- Cynthia WatrosAmerican actress
- Cynthia DornScottish,born American actress
- Cynthia Powell Lennonartist and first wife of musician John Lennon
- Cynthia Michele WatrosAmerican actress
- Cynthia "Cyndi" LauperAmerican singer
- Cynthia "Cindy" CrawfordAmerican supermodel
- Cynthia Lynn DanielAmerican actress; twin sister Brittany Daniel
- Cynthia GearyAmerican actress
- Cynthia Lynne CooperDyke, American basketball player
- Cynthia MenardMiss World Canada 2017
Cynthia in Pop Culture
- Cynthia "Cindy" Bradycharacter on The Brady Bunch
- Cynthiadoll on animated series "Rugrats"
- Cynthia "Cindy" Hellermain character in movie "Blue Valentine"
- Cynthiamother of Marvel Comics' Doctor Doom
- Cynthia Millercharacter on TV series "Call the Midwife"
- CynthiaSinnoh Champion in the Pokemon video games
- Cynthia Delano Banekcharacter in movie "Changing Lanes"
- CynthiaA character from the game "Fire emblem Awakening"
- Cynthiacharacter in Freeform's "Recovery Road"
- Cynthia Reynolds aka Gypsycharacter on TV's "The Flash"
- Cynthia Brandtcharacter in the webcomic "Riverside Extras" by Miri Chamberlain